Your interior space plays a huge role in the way you feel. I mean, you spend a large majority of your time there. It's where you eat, where you sleep, where your play, where you relax, where you entertain; it's where you LIVE. Below are 10 Keys to a happier space, one that allows you to celebrate you and not just live, but actually feel replenished and ALIVE INSIDE.
1. Create an experience. This is your space. What do you want it to say? What story do you want it to tell? Do you want your space to feel like an adventure? Do you want it to be calming and quiet? Do you want it to be bright and exciting? Make your space tell whatever story you want to be part of. P.S. Every room can tell a different story, just make sure there is some sort of cohesion.
2. Declutter for a clean and contained space. Clutter = Mess = Stress. In order to bring more happiness into your space, declutter and make sure your space is clean and contained. Throw out things you do not need, things that are broken, and things that you have not used in the past 6 months (or 6 weeks - I promise, less stuff = more happiness). With the stuff that remains, create organization and contain the space using containers, trays, baskets, and bins.
3. Prioritize comfort. Do you have a chair that is modern and sleek, but so uncomfortable that you never sit in it? Get rid of it! If you want to feel comfortable at home, comfort should be a top priority. Fill your space with soft things, blankets, pillows, and soft furniture. Use different patterns and textures of these items to bring variety into the space.
4. Treat your home like it's made to be lived in. While cleanliness brings happiness, let yourself off the hook a little and don't stress too much about things being perfectly in order 100% of the time. I always said that when visitors came over I wanted them to know that we were a family that enjoyed eating together, playing games together, and doing things together and so it would be okay if there was a little proof of these things happening in the home.
5. Create Inspiration. Use your space to inspire you, whatever that looks like for you. Showcase favorite quotes, bring in patterns that mean something to you, showcase family heirlooms that remind you of family traditions and heritage. Decorate with photos of loved ones and cherished memories. Make your space the place that lights you up and lifts you higher.
6. Showcase your personality. Showcasing your personality is a great way to make your space happier. Celebrate you! Display personal collections you have, things you like to do, and objects that bring you joy. If you love to travel, display globes or a map with flags of all the places you've visited. You like football? Showcase your favorite teams and pictures of yourself and friends playing. Bring YOU into you SPACE.
7. Use color that shows how you want to feel. Colors have a tendency to bring different emotions, and they aren't necessarily the same for everyone. White may feel clean and refreshing to one person and may feel boring and cold to someone else. Yellow may feel bright, homey, and happy to one and to another may be overbearing. Pick colors that go well together and feel good to YOU.
8. Use lighting to your liking. Natural lighting is a great way to bring more happiness into your home. It is proven that sunlight brings happiness. Put chairs next to windows and use window coverings that can be easily drawn to allow light in. If the space doesn't allow for natural lighting, accessorize with chandeliers and lamps that add personality and bring joy to the space.
9. Use mirrors to elongate and brighten space. Making a space feel bigger can make the space more enjoyable to be in. Using mirrors are a great way to make a space feel bigger and brighter.
10. Bring the outdoors in. Last but not least, bring the outdoors in. Plants add personality, feeling, and brightness to any space as well as making the air quality better. Hang pots from the celing, plant an herb garden in your kitchen, or plant a succulent garden in a pot for your bedroom. If you don't have much of a green thumb, don't worry, there are plenty of ways to make fake plants look real and bring the inviting calm that greenery does into the home.
No matter where you live, your space is your comfort zone, the place you should feel safe and secure, the place to come back to yourself when the outside world beats you down. Whether you own or rent, have a house, an apartment, or a studio in the city, whether you have an entire house to call your own, or just a bedroom, you can incorporate these 10 keys into your interior space to chase the gloom out and bring the happy in.